Kitsilano Beach (Kits Beach), Vancouver, BC
Vancouver, BC is home to almost 18 km (11 miles) of beautiful sandy beaches. Of the 10 beaches, Kits Beach, located off Cornwall between Yew and Arbutus, is easily the most popular of them all, especially among the young. Along with sun, sand and sweeping mountain views, you’ll find lush grass perfect for picnics and BBQs, a playground for entertaining children, the seawall for jogging and biking, concession and a popular beach front restaurant - The Boathouse - to grab a bite to eat, and basketball, tennis and beach volleyball courts.
If swimming in the ocean isn’t your thing, take a dip in Vancouver’s only heated salt water pool, Kits Pool. This beachside pool, which is also Canada’s longest pool (137 meters – about three times the length of an Olympic-size pool) is divided into three sections to accommodate every type of pool-goer, from lap swimmers to small children and those who just want to splash around. At Kits Beach, there’s something for everyone!
- Kits Pool: Admission fees in effect. Open from mid-May to mid-September, times vary by month. Hours of operation available here
- Sports: 7 sand volleyball courts (first come first serve basis - free net rentals in exchange for ID), 10 tennis courts, and 2 newly resurfaced basketball courts
- Parking: Major parking lots are located off Cornwall Avenue, between Yew and Arbutus Street. The pay parking lots are $2 per hour or $7 all day.
- Lifeguards: On duty from Victoria Day until Labour Day from 11:30am – 8:30pm
- Dogs: Allowed from 6:00am – 10:00am and 5:00pm – 10:00pm on the west side of the Maritime Museum on Kits Point.
- Windsurfing: Board rentals available at the Jericho Sailing Centre and windsurfers are required to launch and land their windsurfers betwen the yellow buoys only at Locarno and Kitsilano Beach
- Food & Beverage: Concession and The Boathouse on Kits Beach
- Prohibited: Fire (barbeques permitted in containers), smoking, alcohol, ball playing (except in designated areas), inflatable devices in water, kite surfing and horses